Monday, May 14, 2007

The India Incident: Macpherson Responds

[NB: Post bumped to the top by reader request. Regular FC coverage continues below.]

By all accounts, James Macpherson got quite a bit more than he bargained for when he made the decision to hire a pair of Indian reporters to cover Pasadena's local news. Jill at Eye Level Pasadena has a massive list of everyone who's talking about the story in the blogosphere and the media. Our own comments got more of a response than we anticipated. To add to the folks we noted last week, LAist had an interesting post on the subject that included our thoughts and a Newsweek article featured some of our comments.

Between emails with these people and the comments, we've been having a great conversation about local journalism generally and Pasadena Now's situation specifically. But now, we can happily add the thoughts of the person at the center of this media firestorm, James Macpherson. While he has come in for some serious criticism in some quarters, perhaps his words will make the most bitter critics reconsider.

James Macpherson says:

I have been struggling for over two years to grow a website which will serve the public good and which will strive to present news and information without bias in a community which I believe is underserved by local media.

I have sold family heirlooms and given this effort my all, because I believe this community will be a better place to live in if we use the internet to connect the community. I have briefed public officials on the use of the internet to connect citizens and government, advocated for the arts, and given of myself to help this community become a better place.

I’ve struggled financially, and if people think I’m rich or greedy they haven’t bothered to check.

The idea of using writers based in India came to me as one of dozens and dozens ideas I’ve had over two years to keep my website growing on a non-existent budget.

Let’s be clear: This isn’t outsourcing in the sense it replaces employees (I’ve never employed writers); with a budget of only $400 a week it’s not like I can afford to hire too many.

My concept was to locate ghostwriters, educated and experienced writers who would follow my instructions, use my research and interview transcripts, and produce contents for me at my direction.

I’ve been asked if I tried to use local college student interns first, before I tied this. Answer: Of course I have. You should see all my correspondence with PCC, USC, Citrus College, Glendale Community College, Azusa Pacific, Cal Poly Pomona, and La Verne? I ended up finding a wonderful young woman from Azusa Pacific, who did well for us, plus four USC interns, of whom only one ever turned in even one article. I got in trouble from the Old Pasadena Merchants Association with that article, who demanded I remove it.

I had to work like crazy calling and contacting Professors and Job Centers at these Colleges and Universities to find prospective writers and it was – except for USC, which is very well organized – like pulling teeth to get any students to apply or return my telephone calls. I just gave up, I don’t have time for playing games.

Oh, and the lovely young gal who was an intern at Azusa Pacific? She graduated and now will work only for $30,000 a year (for the first 30 days, then a review) plus wants health insurance and vacations. She also stipulated 9am to 5pm, please – Monday through Friday.

In the beginning, this was a simple idea to convert the raw material I gather – photographs, recorded interviews, notes, and background research – into articles that are crafted the way I prefer and reflect my goals of objectivity and accuracy.

It was a simple idea to serve my fellow citizens.


A lot of commenters have been asking "isn't there anyone around here who would do it?" It seems as if, even if there are writers around, they're hard to find.

Frankly, unlike many of the people who have emailed us, we don't have some kind of jingoistic aversion to foreigners covering our local news. In fact, given the James' troubles in keeping a dedicated local journalist, it sounds like there's a niche for writers who will do the serious grunt work (e.g. watching every minute of city council meetings) and write it up. With a good editor, as Ed Barrera has noted, there's no reason to think they couldn't cover a lot of the basic happenings in the city.

To Macpherson's credit, there really isn't anyone covering these kinds of local issues that thoroughly. If a city council meeting runs late, reporters have to make deadlines and people often leave. Having someone sit through every single meeting and looking at other happenings around the city with the same exhaustiveness is a service that isn't really being provided.

That being said, a lot of local news really is tied to an incredibly complex web of people and issues that often can't be or just aren't directly mentioned in the article. Those kinds of connections probably aren't going to be made thousands of miles away.

Enough of us pontificating, let's hear your thoughts in the comments.

21 comments:

Erin S. said...

First of all, I doubt Mr. McPherson has gotten "more than he bargained for" with this--I imagine hits to his site have gone thru the roof during this time.

Second, the self-righteousness of some of the commenters demanding local reporters covering the news is a bit ridiculous--as McPherson points out--running a news operation ain't cheap, and a relatively new news-source like Pasadena Now certainly can't have deep pockets. Last I checked the constitution didn't include an inalienable right to have local reporters for every online news source.

Would any of the indignant folks leaving comments work for the salaries McPherson's paying these Indian reporters? Would they make donations to his enterprise so he can hire local folks? Would they really want to take responsibility for sitting thru every single local city council meeting?

This all seems like quite the tempest in the teapot if ya ask me.

Anonymous said...

I admire Mr. McPherson's efforts. His heart is in the right place, and even though his means are somewhat atypical he seems like a fair enough man to do the work. The idea of employing foreigners to do local news is somewhat outlandish still in my book, but his prudential argument I think is respectable.

Upstarts like Mr. McPherson deserve our praise. Men/Women who want to help their fellow citizens should be celebrated, but it would be nice, if he gets the means to help them have jobs.

Anonymous said...

i love the style, i have several similar one, i usually wear them to work or shopping. Please come visit my site Greensboro Yellow Page Business Directory when you got time.

Anonymous said...

Hey congrats on the new posting come out
btw i love your blog although i have just stumbled upon it =)
Love the new pictures you got there! Please come visit my site Durham Yellow Page Business Directory when you got time.

Anonymous said...

I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it :) I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. Please visit my Please visit my blog when you have time Please come visit my site New Hampshire Business Listing Yellow pages when you got time.

Anonymous said...

I am not much into reading, but somehow I got to read lots of articles on your blog.
Its amazing how interesting it is for me to visit you very often :)
Please come visit my site Yellow Pages Of New York when you got time.

Anonymous said...

I can see that you are an expert at your field! I am launching a website soon, and your information will be very useful for me. Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the success in your business. Please come visit my site Directory Plano City when you got time.

Anonymous said...

I can see that you are an expert at your field! I am launching a website soon, and your information will be very useful for me. Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the success in your business. Please come visit my site Business Trade Guide of Plano Texas TX when you got time.

Anonymous said...

What a facinating article. I’m looking for a marketing expert to help with a project, could you help? Please come visit my site Phoenix Yellow Pages when you got time.

Anonymous said...

Love the new pictures you got there! Please come visit my site Greensboro Directory when you got time.

rr8004 said...

I found your site on google, great site, keep it up. Will return in the future. Submitted this post to Google News Reader. Please come visit my site Business Services Web Directory Of Indianapolis when you got time.

rr8004 said...

I just love it ..... well i don't have any doubt about your articles... your articles are awesome... Honestly you are simply the best.Thanks for sharing this with us. Please come visit my site Riverside Business Directory when you got time.

rr8004 said...

I just love it ..... well i don't have any doubt about your articles... your articles are awesome... Honestly you are simply the best.Thanks for sharing this with us. Please come visit my site Riverside Yellow Page Business Directory when you got time.

rr8004 said...

I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it :) I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. Please visit my Please visit my blog when you have time Please come visit my site Portland Community Video Library when you got time.

rr8004 said...

I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it :) I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. Please visit my Please visit my blog when you have time Please come visit my site Portland Business Phone Listing when you got time.

heygames said...

Would they really want to take responsibility for sitting thru every single local city council meeting? leather bags
ugg boots
buy ugg boots
cambridge satchel
ugg boots
buy ugg boots
ugg in winter

Unknown said...

Eventually, extras are crucial when doing you hair business machine tattoos enterprise outfit for females. A straightforward dark colored enterprise fit with can look so very unique depending on the form of equipment a female sports by it. This sort of led faucet products while scarfs can easily make a easy suit look very classy.

Unknown said...

ninest123 16.03
longchamp outlet, uggs on sale, uggs on sale, uggs outlet, oakley sunglasses, louboutin uk, nike air max, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton handbags, nike free, tiffany jewelry, michael kors outlet online, tiffany jewelry, michael kors outlet online, replica watches, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, cheap jordans, nike air max, louis vuitton outlet online, oakley sunglasses, burberry outlet, ralph lauren outlet, christian louboutin, uggs outlet, michael kors, burberry factory outlet, ralph lauren polo, christian louboutin, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors handbags, gucci handbags, replica watches, longchamp outlet, prada outlet, tory burch outlet, louis vuitton outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, uggs on sale, louboutin shoes, prada handbags, longchamp bags, nike outlet, louis vuitton, michael kors outlet online, ray ban sunglasses

Unknown said...

michael kors outlet online, polo ralph lauren uk, ralph lauren pas cher, nike air max, michael kors uk, hermes pas cher, true religion outlet, true religion jeans, polo lacoste pas cher, coach purses, coach outlet store online, north face pas cher, lululemon outlet, true religion outlet, lunette ray ban pas cher, hogan sito ufficiale, nike blazer pas cher, nike roshe uk, michael kors, timberland pas cher, nike air max pas cher, true religion outlet, burberry pas cher, nike roshe run pas cher, lunette oakley pas cher, nike tn pas cher, nike air max uk, abercrombie and fitch, nike air force, new balance, jordan pas cher, replica handbags, north face uk, ray ban uk, michael kors, nike air max uk, sac guess pas cher, converse, hollister uk, vans pas cher, louboutin pas cher, longchamp soldes, longchamp pas cher, nike free pas cher, mulberry uk, coach outlet, nike free, vanessa bruno pas cher, abercrombie and fitch UK

Unknown said...

pandora charms, moncler jackets, toms shoes, swarovski uk, moncler uk, barbour, replica watches, canada goose, marc jacobs, links of london uk, supra shoes, louis vuitton uk, converse shoes outlet, moncler outlet, swarovski jewelry, canada goose outlet, coach outlet, moncler pas cher, ugg pas cher, thomas sabo uk, canada goose outlet, louis vuitton, sac louis vuitton, moncler, barbour jackets uk, juicy couture outlet, pandora jewelry, montre pas cher, canada goose jackets, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, moncler, canada goose jackets, louis vuitton, ray ban, hollister, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, canada goose uk, bottes ugg pas cher, moncler, juicy couture outlet, canada goose pas cher, sac louis vuitton, lancel, pandora jewelry, moncler, ugg uk, wedding dresses uk, karen millen uk, pandora uk, canada goose, gucci
ninest123 16.03

Zihan Amelia said...

Given article is very helpful and very useful for me, thank you

Cara Mengatasi Emfisema
Obat Hipertiroid
Cara Mengatasi Tinnitus
Obat Amandel Paling Ampuh
Tips Menyembuhkan Patah Tulang